Some suggestions and ideas to improve your home’s appearance and help you prepare to sell it faster!
Throughout the House:
- Open the blinds, pull up the shades, and let in the sunlight. Clean all light fixtures.
- Create a positive mood. Turn on all lights, day or night, and install higher wattage bulbs to show your home brightly.
- Remove clutter from each room to visually enlarge them.
- If you have a fireplace, highlight it in your decorating.
- Keep your home dusted and vacuumed at all times.
- Replace the carpet if it does not clean up well.
- Have a family “game plan” to get the home in order quickly, if necessary.
- Air out your home for one-half hour before showings, if possible.
- Lightly spray the house with air freshener so that it has a chance to diffuse before the buyer arrives.
- Put family photos away.
- Improve traffic flow through every room by removing unnecessary furniture.
- Create the feeling of a spacious entry area by using decorative accents and removing unnecessary furniture.
- Putty over and paint any nail holes or other mishaps in the walls.
- Paint all interior walls a neutral color to brighten the home and make it look bigger.
- Repair or replace any loose or damaged wallpaper and paneling.
- Wash all windows inside and out.
- Use plants in transitional areas of your home.
- Make the most of your attic’s potential
- Remove and/or hide excess extension cords and exposed wires.
- Open doors to areas you want potential buyers to see such as walk-in closets pantries, attics, etc.
- Remove all smoke and pet odors.
- Replace and/or repair banisters and handrails.
In the Kitchen:
- Microwave a small dish of vanilla twenty minutes before showing and place it in an out-of-the-way location.
- Highlight an eat-in area in your kitchen with a table set for dinner.
- The kitchen and bathrooms should always be spotlessly clean.
- Expand your counter space by removing small appliances.
In the Bedrooms:
- Create a master suite effect in your decorating.
- Depersonalize bedrooms and decorate in a neutral scheme.
- Make sure that the beds are made and the linens are clean.
- Organize your closets, remove unnecessary items and put them in storage.
In the Bathroom:
- Do not leave towels around and wipe down the sinks and shower areas after each use.
- Re-caulk the tub and shower areas if needed.
- Repair or replace broken tiles in the shower/tub.
- Install neutral shower curtains.
- Put out fresh towels and decorative soaps.
- Keep the yard mowed and raked at all times.
- Use flowering plants to dress up the yard, walkway, and patios.
- Remove all toys, bicycles, tools, unsightly patio furniture, and trash from the yard.
- Porches, steps, balconies, patios, sunrooms, and other extensions of the house should be kept uncluttered and swept.
- Paint all entrance doors.
- Make sure the garage and shed doors open easily. Fix and paint doors if necessary.
- Clean and shine all hardware accessories indoors and out (door knobs, knockers, lamps, mail box, address #’s, etc.).
- Trees and shrubs should be trimmed and pruned.
- Replace your door mat.
- Be sure the front doorbell is in good working order.
- Be sure the front door and screen door works perfectly. Ensure a smooth and squeak-free operation.
- During periods of inclement weather, ensure walkways are shoveled, swept, and free of any hazards.
- If you have a pool, ensure it is free of dirt and debris.
- Turn on your pool jets and create a flowing effect on the surface.
- Remediate occurrence of insects (bee hives, ant hills, water bugs, etc.).
Remember that First Impression is key and we want to ensure the home shows to the best of its ability to potential buyers.